CARACAS, Friday December 07, 2012 | Update

President Chávez returns to Venezuela from Cuba

At around 2:30 am, President Hugo Chávez arrived in Venezuela from Cuba, and told reporters that he was "happy" for his return, state-run television channel VTV reported

Chávez said he was in a good spirit and very optimistic to be in his country again (Photo: Miraflores Press Office)
| 1 | 2 |
Friday December 07, 2012  07:27 AM
"I am very happy, as you can see, to be here again," said President Hugo Chávez upon his arrival at Simón Bolívar International Airport in Maiquetia, coastal Vargas state, around 2:30 am on Friday.

Since November 27, Chávez was in Cuba undergoing hyperbaric oxygen therapy. However, since November 15 he had not been seen in public.

"Much optimism! Good spirit!" he said upon his return to Venezuela. He highlighted that the election of governors will take place in nine days, on December 16. "Look at this, Nicolás (Maduro, the Venezuelan Executive Vice-President and Foreign Affairs Minister), we are pulling off one victory after the other."

"Today (Friday), it has been two months since the triumph of October 7 (the presidential vote where Chávez was reelected). Yesterday (Thursday), we marked 14 years of our victory of December 6, 1998 (when Chávez was first elected as Venezuelan president), and we are eight days ahead of the upcoming victory (in the election of governors.)"

National Assembly Speaker Diosdado Cabello replied, "My commander, we really have a chance to win the 23 governor's offices nationwide. I am saying this in a serious way, without any arrogance. I am speaking based on surveys."

Chávez was welcomed at the Simón Bolívar International Airport in Maiquetia by some members of his executive cabinet, including Minister of Electricity Héctor Navarro, Minister of Communications and Information Ernesto Villegas, Defense Minister Diego Molero Bellavia, and some family members as well.
Gagging Twitter users

Pablo Jiménez Guaricuco was summarily dismissed from his Clerk III job at the Autonomous Service of Public Registries and Notaries' Offices (Saren). He read a notice published in a newspaper on November 5 informing the public that he was no longer employed to the Saren. He was sacked despite the fact that he was taking a leave of absence from work due to a work-related accident, and that he enjoyed security of employment under the parental job-immunity privilege. Most probably, the decision was influenced by his role as a union organizer. But what did he do, besides leading protests, to deserve the sack? Well, he allegedly sent off a series of tweets that definitely hurt the sensitivity of the Saren Directorate.

  •  Read 
fotter Estampas
fotter Estampas