ESPACIO PUBLICITARIO
CARACAS, Saturday December 29, 2012 | Update
 
|
share
|
SECURITY

Death toll of 18,960 in Venezuela so far this year

This year threatens to end at more than 19,000 deaths, well over last year

Caracas Metropolitan Area is the most violent location in Venezuela, according to the numbers from the scientific police (Photo: Fernando Sánchez)
MARÍA ISOLIETT IGLESIAS , DEIVIS RAMÍREZ MIRANDA |  EL UNIVERSAL
Saturday December 29, 2012  12:00 AM

Killings skyrocketed, even though no statistical cut-off has been made yet. Based on the numbers managed at the Scientific, Criminal and Forensic Investigation Agency (Cicpc), through Monday, December 17, murders nationwide totaled 18,960. This means that every two hours five Venezuelans were slain, that is, 66 in every 100,000 inhabitants.

Last year ended at 18,850 murders. Therefore, while this year has not ended yet, it overtakes the number of 2011, at least by 110. This is true, regardless of the 21st security plan implemented by the Venezuelan government. "All Life in Venezuela" Mission entered into force last June as an umbrella plan to finish insecurity off.

Based on the breakdown made by the officers, firearms were used in 80% of recorded cases. In the remaining 20%, sharp edged weapons and others were used. Disclosed numbers do not include the cases of "inquest into cause of death."

Nevertheless, people who died for resisting arrest are indeed included in the statistics produced by the sources.

In 2009, according to Cicpc, 16,094 people were killed. In 2010, former Minister of the Interior and Justice Tareck El Aissami noted, there were 14,500 killings. The available numbers this year were provided by the senior officer in his annual report. This meant a 10% decline compared with 2009. Anyhow, in 2011, a 30% rebound was recorded.

If all that was not enough, NGO Observatorio Venezolano de la Violencia (Venezuelan Violence Watch, OVV) reckons that 2012 will end at 21,692 people dead as a result of crime, for a nationwide rate of 73 deaths in every 100, inhabitants.

Translated by Conchita Delgado Rivas
|
share
|
ADVERTISING SPACE
Dossier
Living with HIV/AIDS (II)

At first she agreed that I use her real name, that she had no problems with that at all. After all, living with HIV had driven her to help others – as a workshop facilitator giving talks and conducting seminars, or as a volunteer for local AIDS Service Organizations like Acción Solidaria (Solidary Action) and Mujeres Unidas por la Salud (Women United for Health, or Musa), a support group network for HIV-positive women. But when we were well into the interview, the realization that she might lose her private health insurance coverage made her change her mind.

fotter clasificados.eluniversal.com Estampas
Alianzas
fotter clasificados.eluniversal.com Estampas
cerrar